Narrative/Expository Interventions and Resources
Select and copy one to two intervention strategies that are applicable to the intervention goal. Return to eCST and paste the strategies into the Add Intervention box.
1. Model/provide and practice use of simple notes or visual methods appropriate for grade level to support: oral story telling/retelling, summarizing, relating past events, identifying main idea, giving directions, explaining.
2. Model(Think-Aloud) and practice summarizing orally-presented stories and content.
3. Model (Think-Aloud) and practice visualizing and describing mental images for pictures, words, sentences, and paragraphs to aid in: oral story telling/retelling, summarizing, identifying main idea, describing.
4. Teach narrative and/or expository structure to aid in: story telling/retelling, summarizing, relating past events/information, giving directions, and explaining.
5. Develop oral expression and awareness of sentence structure using sentences from stories and content areas.
6. Model and practice categorization skills to improve main idea skills, use of graphic organizers/note-taking, describing, comparing-contrasting, and vocabulary.
Materials for Teaching Active Listening Behavior
Materials for Teaching: Main Idea, Text Structure, Summarizing/Retelling, Question-Generation, Note-Taking, Critical Thinking (inferencing, predicting, cause-effect, problem-solution).
Key Comprehension Routine (gr. 4-6)/Key Comprehension Routine: Primary Grades (K-3)-Joan Sedita (Main Idea & Text Structure Skills; plus Top-Down Topic Web, Two-Column Notes, Summary/Retell, Question Generating)
Reciprocal Teaching/Reading/Listening (summarizing, generating questions, clarifying, predicting)
Reciprocal Teaching at Work(K-12)-Lori D. Oczkus
www.nancyfetzer.com (gr. k-1, gr. 2-3, gr.4-6 multisensory reading/writing/listening/speaking activities)
Story Grammar Marker-story telling/retelling, answering/asking questions
Pictography-A Narrative Representation Tool (note-taking, story telling/retelling, answering questions)
Primary Comprehension Toolkit –S. Harvey & A.Goudvis
Visualizing and Verbalizing for Language Comprehension and Thinking-Nanci Bell (Visualization skills related to: comprehension, summarizing/ retelling, critical thinking, vocabulary)